Side Hustle: Network Marketing- Is It For Me?

   I am all about the side hustle.  I think it is so important to have multiple sources of income or having different ways of earning money outside of your full time job.  I have been participating in the side hustle for years and considering I have a wedding in less than a year I am continuing to look for additional side hustles.
   My first and main "side hustle" is my network marketing business.  I have been selling Younique Cosmetics and Skincare for over 3 years and I really, really love it.  It is something that not only makes me a few extra bucks, but something that I really enjoy as well.
    Do I make tons of money from it? No.  I use Younique as my fun money.  If I want to get a Stitch Fix box one month or get a couple mani/pedis I use my Younique card to pay for it!  Currently, I am saving my Younique earnings to pay for my bridal hair and makeup and already used it to get my hair and makeup done for my engagement pictures!


 
What is network marketing?

Network marketing provides a great opportunity for those looking to own and run their own business with little or no up-front investment.  After you decide on a company or product, you are most likely going to have to purchase a "starter kit" which provides you with basic materials to help you begin and market your business.  From there you have the opportunity to sell the product and/or service to friends, family and others.  Most network marketing companies also suggest you to recruit others to join your "ranks" in order for you to really see the best financial benefit from network marketing.  

What kind of companies/products are there in network marketing?

Literally, anything!!  From makeup, to food, to wine, to books, to home goods, etc.  If you have a passion, there is most likely a network marketing company out there to meet it!  

   I personally feel it's important to join a company that fits a passion or hobby of yours.  If you aren't into makeup, it won't come off natural when you are trying to recommend products to your friends.  You want to be genuinely excited and interested in what you are selling and that doesn't mean that you have to love every product your company makes!  

Who can become a network marketer?

Really, anyone.  Most companies require their presenters to be 18 or older.  You also need a social security number for tax purposes. Some companies may have additional requirements to it's important to do your research and ask questions to either a fellow representative or an employee of the company itself.  You will also need whatever the initial sign up costs are so remember to keep that in mind.

The Advantages of Network Marketing

*You can invest as much or as little time as you want.
*You can invest as much or as little money as you want.
*Most businesses you can work from anywhere.
*You are in business for yourself.
*However, most companies provide some sort of new seller training and a lot of companies provide additional support with the people who you joined under called your "upline".
*You can learn while you earn (which is what I did).
*If you purchase anything for your business, it can possibly be tax deducted (talk to your accountant first!)
*Provides opportunities to make friends globally
*Provides empowerment, especially to women
*...and many, many more



The Disadvantages of Network Marketing

*Not all companies are legitimate, please do your research!
*Some can be quite expensive up-front
*Some may require you to carry stock, which means you will need space
*It may be difficult to get friend and family support
*You may feel pressured to buy new products
*You may feel pressured to market products you don't personally like or use
*It might take a while to see true financial gains
*It's not a quick fix or get rich quick scheme
*Some people can be skeptical of direct sales companies

So, is network marketing for me?

Unfortunately, that is not for me to answer.  I think it can be  a great side hustle if you are someone who can self-motivate and likes to either interact with people on a face to face basis or via social media (depending on the company).  I also think it's a great way to empower yourself and learn a lot about business, marketing, branding, social media and graphic design which are all things that I have learned about on my journey as a network marketer.  It's also great if you have realistic expectations of what you want to accomplish with the money you earn. Also, realistic expectations of the time it may take to grow your business and that what you put into it, is really what you get out of it.

  If you possess these qualities- you are well on your way to becoming a fab network marketer, it's just about finding the right company!  A great place to start is by visiting the Direct Sellers Association website.

.....or if you're a makeup/skincare junkie consider joining me in my Younique adventure! #shamelessselfpromo 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,